Ledlenser MH10 - Night to Day
Reviewed by Kevin Power
The Ledlenser MH10 is all about power-to-weight ratio, and the high power-to-weight ratio which is the Holy Grail for performance vehicles has parallels when it comes to hunting gear such as camp stoves and, in this case, portable lighting. The MH10 boasts Ledlenser’s best weight-to-brightness ratio yet for its headlamps, with a substantial 600 lumens and a claimed 150-metre beam range on high power from a unit weighing just 158 grams.
For the tech-heads, here’s the nitty gritty. Three selectable power modes enable the light output sequence to be set as preferred - from full power to low power or low power to high power. Focusing the MH10 is achieved with a turn of the sliver focus ring to give a flood beam for close-up illumination, or a spot beam for distant illumination. The light can also be directed within an angle of 65° by tilting the head of the lamp up or down. There’s a ‘low battery’ warning, and an indicator to show the charged-up level of the battery while recharging. Two colour filters are supplied so that white light can be changed to either red or green light if required. A rear red safety light, and a transport lock to stop accidental battery drain, complete the setup.
The USB 3.0 cable provided will charge the rechargeable Li-ion 3.7v battery up to 80% of capacity in a respectable three hours, while the remaining 20% will take an additional 3 hours. The MH10 is rated IPX4 water resistant (Protects from splashing water, no matter the direction) and has an adjustable, washable headband. Last but not least, it’s backed-up with a 7-year warranty and a handy pouch to hold the MH10, Li-ion battery, USB 3.0 recharging cable, and the two colour filters.
IN THE FIELD
I received the Ledlenser MH10 from NZ distributors Tight Lines Ltd the morning of our planned hunt; it arrived in a very flash box with all its accessories. After a cursory play with the functions and discovering it had very little charge it went onto the USB output in the ute immediately, as with an advertised 3hr to 80% charge and 6hr to 100% capacity and a 4.5 hour trip to the hunting block near National Park from Tauranga I needed to get it charging now!
Ledlenser’s charge times must be fairly realistic as the fully-charged indicator came on after just 4 hours ‒ about right considering there was some residual charge in the Li-ion battery. The MH10 has three power levels: Power = 600 lumens (10 hours runtime); Mid Power = 250 lumens (15 hours runtime); and Low Power (120 hours runtime).
In the field I generally run my lights at 100%, and I logged just over 11 hours for the first charge. Admittedly it was used on low for a little reading and tested in medium but Ledlenser’s claims again appear to be in the ballpark. Fitting the MH10 is a non-event in terms of it being easy, and when it’s on you forget it’s there till you need to use it. The On-off and Mode switch above the lens is not fiddly and has enough ‘feel’ to be operated effectively with gloves on. The standout thing for me was the light distribution, clarity and spread of the beam ‒ particularly in wide angle mode. Literally it was night and day compared to my companions’ headlamps. We were clambering around in some pretty steep scrub country and having the additional spread of quality light really made a difference, letting me navigate my way around and not end up on my arse.
To test the reach, we ranged a large willow tree at 150 metres. Ledlenser claims up to a 150 metre beam distance on high power, but while we could just make out the leaves on the tree at this distance it is pushing the limits. However at 120 metres we had a solid usable beam, which in the real world is exceptional for a 600 lumen headlamp and better than most claiming many more lumens.
Pricewise, the MH10 is up there at $249 RRP; however a lot of R&D has gone into this product and this definitely delivers out in the field. You get extremely bright usable light output from a featherweight package together with exceptional charging speeds for such long run times.
(incl battery) 158g
Rechargeable 3.7v Li-ion
USB Port 3.0 for fast recharging
USB cable, pouch, two coloured filter caps
WARRANTY: Covered by Ledlenser's 7 year extended Warranty
Copyright 2017 NZRod&Rifle